RCH Redevelopment Project – Phase 2 & 3
Redevelopment of the Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster BC is required to meet current and future demand for services, address critical infrastructure issues, and maintain the highest standards of care for the most complex and critically ill patients from across BC.
Royal Columbian Hospital Redevelopment Project – Phase Two and Three
Project Description: The Royal Columbian Hospital Redevelopment Project will meet today’s standards for patient-centred care, infection control and safety, clinical best practices, workplace health, and sustainable energy and waste management. It will include technology that enriches the patient experience and optimizes staff and physician efficiency. Space design will also focus on flexibility to allow for future medical technology and population needs.
The Royal Columbian Redevelopment Project is being phased to allow for continuity of hospital services throughout. Phase one has begun construction. The procurement process for phase two and three is expected to begin Spring 2018.
Phase two will include:
- A new 350-bed acute care tower on the north side of the hospital with:
- Multiple floors for acute and critical care patients
- An Emergency Department with satellite medical imaging unit
- An interventional floor with operating rooms, interventional radiology and cardiology suites, recovery suites
- An underground parkade, main entrance, and rooftop heliport
- Energy centre equipment, information management/information technology infrastructure; and demolition of some existing buildings
Phase three will include:
- Expansion of support areas such as the laboratory, pharmacy, medical imaging, cafeteria, administration offices and ambulatory care
- Expansion of pediatric and neonatal intensive care units
- Conversion of some four-bed patient rooms into single or semi-private
Construction on phase two is expected to run 2020 to 2024, and phase three is expected to complete in 2026. The hospital will remain fully operational throughout construction.
|Client:||Fraser Health Authority|
|Project Cost:||$1.2 billion|
|Project Status:||Under construction|
|Project Website:||Click to access website|
|Request for Qualifications issued||September 27, 2018|
|Request for Qualifications closed||January 10, 2019|
|Request for Proposals issued||July 31, 2019|
|Contract award||January 11, 2021|
|Construction to begin||2020|
|Construction completed||Late 2026|
- Construction starts on next phase of Royal Columbian Hospital revitalization
- Next phase of Royal Columbian Hospital redevelopment moving forward
- Phase 2 of Royal Columbian Hospital revitalization will expand emergency, acute care
- Request for Proposals Royal Columbian Hospital Redevelopment Project – Phases Two and Three (July 31, 2019)
- Request for Qualifications Royal Columbian Hospital Redevelopment Project – Phases Two and Three (Conformed) (March 14, 2018)
- Fairness Monitor Report Request for Qualifications Royal Columbian Hospital Redevelopment Project – Phases Two and Three